I have three antennas for the station — an end-fed wire for HF; a dual-band vertical for VHF-UHF FM; and, another dual-band vertical for my APRS station operating on 144.39 Mhz.
This is a long story — I’ll skip the details. Previously I used an off-center-fed dipole for HF. I had to take that antenna down in late September because the way it was mounted was damaging my roof.
I replaced the OCF dipole with a single end-fed antenna for 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. The new antenna is the EFHW-4010 manufactured by MyAntennas.com.
Here’s a photo of the antenna installation. The transformer/balun is mounted under the eave of my screen rear porch. The two wires coming from the bottom of the balun are the coax feed line, and, #6 copper ground wire that terminates on the ground at an 8-foot copper ground rod driven almost entirely into the ground. There is a small loading coil on the antenna — that’s the dark object along the antenna wire. The antenna is 63 feet long; the far end terminates near my garden shed.
The hooked object in the lower right corner of the photo is a hook that holds a hummingbird feeder in the summer. The round object in the bottom center is our satellite TV dish.
I tied the coax and the ground wire together with nylon cable ties so the stiff ground wire prevents the coax from whipping around in the wind.
I’m very pleased with this antenna. In the one week it’s been up, I have worked several stations between Florida and Maine on 40-meter CW running both 80 watts and 5 watts.
Here’s a close-up view of the transformer/balun, feed line and ground wire.
The balun is secured to the house with a couple of stainless steel lag screws. The coax feed line is on the left, the copper ground wire on the right, the antenna runs to the left, 63 feet where it’s tired to a length of dacron rope that terminates at my garden shed.
UPDATE. A week or so after these photos were taken, I added a strain relief to the coax and ground wire coming out of the balun. I screwed a stainless steel eye hook into the wooden column to the left of the balun; made a loop in the coax and ground wire; hung that loop on the eye hook thereby removing the strain from the coax connector on the balun caused by the weight of the coax and ground wire.
My other antennas are a Diamond Model XC-30A fiberglass dual-band verticals for 144 and 450 MHz fed with RG-9913 coax. One of these is for my FTM100DR VHF/UHF FM transceiver and the other is the UHF/VHF antenna for the FT7900 I use to monitor local public service frequencies.
In March 2019 I removed the 40-10 meter endfed wire antenna and replaced it with a similar endfed wire that covers 80 – 10 meters — EFHW8010. The new antenna is almost twice as long as the old one, so, I installed it in an L-shape. From the house, the wire runs North-to-South toward my garden shed for about 95 feet, then, it turns 90 degrees to the West and terminates at my garage.
I have not been on the air much since installing this new antenna, so, don’t have any results to report.